320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Tackhead is the experimental collaboration between Adrian Sherwood and the American trio of musicians: guitarist Skip McDonald, bassist Doug Wimbish and drummer Keith LeBlanc. Wimbish and McDonald's partnership goes back to the mid-70s disco boom first met Keith in 1979 on the newly-formed Sugarhill Records. They soon became the label's house band, providing backing for the ground-breaking Sugarhill Gang (Rapper's Delight), Grandmaster Flash (The Message) and Melle Mel (White Lines), helping to launch the onslaught of 80s rap. After the demise of Sugarhill and drawn-out legal wranglings, the three musicians continued to work on various projects. Described by the New York Times as, one of today's most extraordinary rhythm sections, they also recorded for Tom Silverman's Tommy Boy label before going on to work extensively with On-U Sound.
Tackhead Tape Time is effectively a compilation of the best early work by the band, including alternate versions of the singles “Mind At The End Of The Tether”, “Reality” and “What’s My Mission Now?”. It also featured the debut album appearance by Bristol MC Gary Clail, later to enjoy chart success with “Human Nature”.
Digital Track List
- 1 Mind At The End Of The Tether Tackhead 6:40 Buy
- 2 Half Cut Again Tackhead 0:28 Buy
- 3 Reality Tackhead 7:07 Buy
- 4 M.O.V.E Tackhead 2:23 Buy
- 5 Hard Left Tackhead 5:07 Buy
- 6 Get This Tackhead 4:28 Buy
- 7 Man In A Suitcase Tackhead 4:09 Buy
- 8 What's My Mission Now? Tackhead 5:52 Buy
- 9 Half Cut For Confidence Tackhead 6:48 Buy
- 10 Forget This Tackhead 5:35 Buy